The daily insight of a seasoned sex abuse investigator.

The crime of sex abuse is not fiction. The stories will surprise, haunt and amaze you! I will tell these stories, every real detail, but will change the names, places, and circumstances to protect the confidentiality of very real victims and perpetrators.

Monday, March 8, 2010

The Interview

I had been interviewed several times in different cities within my metropolitan area, to no success. Not even a call back. I began to think I didn’t know anything about social work even though I held degrees in education, psychology and sociology. I decided to sit down in the university bookstore and read the social work 101 text, in an effort to sound more knowledgeable. I remember answering questions and wondering what they were looking for. Obviously, I had no idea.

Finally, the right moment came. I was interviewed by a group of people, all women, one man. He had a rather shaggy appearance, was tall, older, with eyes that pierced through me. When I stated I had been a co-facilitator of both offender and victim groups for the last 3 years, he seemed interested. He asked questions that demanded the use of graphic language. Did he want to know that I could say the words penis and vagina? I answered honestly, quickly, and with passion, and didn’t blush. I was asked to return for another interview.

After I left the building, the man called me. He said up front, he knew I was the person he needed for his unit and he asked if another woman had asked me for a return interview. I admitted she had. He said, “You don’t want to be on her team, trust me, you won’t be happy unless you work for me. Cancel the interview with her and come see me tomorrow. And, by the way, dress down. Just wear your jammies and a ball cap.” I thought, really??? What? I was out of my comfort zone for sure. Didn’t know what dress down meant! (I had worn a suit with hose and heels.)
His name was Mack. I was intrigued and agreed to meet him.

No comments:

Post a Comment